In 2002, The U.S. Conference of Mayors prepared a study on Hunger and Homelessness in 25 major cities. The mayors of the surveyed cities were members of its Task Force on Hunger and Homelessness. Among the findings of the 25 city survey:
• 30 percent of request for emergency shelter by homeless people overall and 38 percent of the request by homeless families have gone unmet.
• Lack of affordable housing leads the list of causes of homelessness identified by the city officials.
• It’s estimated that, on average, single men comprise 41 percent of the homeless population in America, families with children 41 percent, single women 13 percent and minors 5 percent.
• 60 percent of homeless shelters turn away homeless people due to lack of resources; mostly money.
In Europe homeless people are often referred to as “rough sleepers”.
According to the “Statistics About Homelessness” a study conducted in London in 2003:
• 25 percent of London’s homeless are between 18 and 25 years of age
• 6 percent are over 60 years of age
• 90 percent are male
• The average life expectancy of a homeless person in London is 42 years, compared with their national average of 74 for men and 79 for women.
Extent of Homelessness Throughout All Of Europe
The lack of national level data in many of the Member States of the EU (European Union), together with differences in definition and approach to data collection and measurement, make it impossible to arrive at a single statistic for homelessness in Europe. However, they all agree it is a problem that is growing at an alarming rate.
We feel that choosing Mac Productions as your hosting partner makes good business sense as well as good community sense. Together we can put an end to hunger and homelessness.
John A. Stubbs
Mac Productions, Inc.
1.216.253.0601 Ofc | 1.216.862.4091 Fax | E: Hosting The Homeless